What is Servant Leadership?
The vision of servant-leadership has at its core the conviction that true leadership springs from serving those whom one leads rather than striving to gain power and control over them.
- the deepening of personal awareness;
- active listening;
- collaborative decision-making;
- conflict management;
- using power ethically;
- trust formation; and
- learning through reflection on experience.
Key benefits of the servant-leader approach are:
- enhanced creativity and productivity;
- intellectual and emotional investment in group or staff members; and
- greater efficiency in task completion.
Servant-leader skills can be used:
- at work;
- with family and friends;
- in volunteer activities; and
- in faith communities.